We’ve Got
Your Back
We’ve Got Your Back

New risks that California farmworkers face

On Behalf of | Oct 19, 2021 | Workers' Compensation |

According to California’s compensation law, any worker that gets injured on the job must receive prompt, automatic benefits they deserve. With the increasing new risks that California’s farmers face today, you should know what you are exposed to, how to deal with it and how to get the total compensation for any injuries you incur. Read on to find out more about this.

New risks that California farmworkers are exposed to

• Wildfires
• Herbicides poisonings
• Heat illnesses
• Strained muscles and joints

Steps to filing for farmer’s workers’ compensation

The first thing you should do when injured while working on the firm is to notify your employer. According to California law, you have 30 days from the time you sustained the injury to alert the employer of your situation. However, if it is an emergency, call 911 first to get the medical help you need and then contact your employer.

Go to the doctor and let them know that you received your injuries while working on the farm. For you to get the workers comp benefits in California, you must follow all the doctor’s instructions while receiving treatment, including follow-up appointments and taking all the prescribed medicine as indicated. Then get a note from your doctor that says you need to stay out of work for some time to recover or if you are limited to only a few jobs now that you are injured.

Immediately the injury is stabilized, and you are finished with the doctor, find an attorney to open a worker’s compensation case. Get all your documents in order, including the DWC-1 claim form. This form declares that you have been injured while at work and need compensation for the injuries suffered until your full recovery.

If your employer is violating the state laws by not having worker’s compensation insurance, you can still secure benefits through Uninsured Employers Trust Fund. Workers’ compensation can help you get the funds you need for medical care and recover the lost wages you incurred while receiving treatment.